COMPUTERBOARDS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
FOR USING THE PCI-1200/JR WITH
THE ARIEL PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS SYSTEM
The PCI-DAS1200 series boards are easy to use. This quick start procedure will help you setup, install and test your board quickly and easily. For additional information, see the Measurement Computing web site: www.measurementcomputing.com.
1. Shut down and turn off your computer. Disconnect the power cord and remove the computer cover.
2. Locate vacant slot: Locate any vacant PCI expansion slot and remove the expansion slot screw and cover. Save the screw for step #4 below.
3. Unpack the PCI-1200/JR card: Caution. Touch a grounded metal object to discharge any build-up of static electricity before handling the 1200/JR card. Handle the card by its edges. If you lay it down, place it on the static-proof bag it is shipped in.
4. Install the ComputerBoards card: Push the 1200/JR card FIRMLY into the PCI slot and replace the PCI slot cover screw.
5. Replace computer cover: Replace the screws that hold the cover in place.
6. Reconnect the power to the back of your computer and start your system. Microsoft Windows will automatically detect the board as it starts up.
Install the InstaCAL Software
1. Insert the InstaCAL CD-ROM into an appropriate CD drive in your computer.
If the CD does not start
automatically, Select Start Menu
located in the lower left corner of the screen. Select RUN and then BROWSE.
Select the drive where the InstaCal disk or CD resides. Select SETUP.EXE and
The install wizard will now launch, and you will then be prompted for additional information. Follow the instructions and, if possible, accept the defaults.
When the software installation is completed, you will be prompted to view the ReadMe file. For simplicity, we will select NO. If desired, you can always read it later.
In order to complete the software installation, the computer must be restarted. Select YES and then OK to restart the computer.
The installation routines will create all required folders/directories and unpack the various pieces of compressed software. The default location is on your main hard drive in a directory or folder named (C:\MCC\).
Launching/Using the InstaCal Software
1. Run the InstaCal software: After your computer has been restarted, select Start, PROGRAMS, MEASUREMENT COMPUTING and then INSTACAL.
2. The Plug and Play Board Detection menu will then be opened. This menu will display any boards that were detected during the bootup process. Make certain that the PCI-1200JR board has a checkmark in the indicator box.
3. Select OK to Proceed. You will notice that two boards are now displayed.
4. Select the REMOVE Board icon and remove both boards.
Close the Instacal software program.
Click the Configure icon (or double-click on Board #0) to display the
9. Make certain the No. of Channels is set to 16 Single Ended. Then select OK to proceed and return to the main Instacal menu.
10. Select the Calibration icon to automatically calibrate the A/D board. This process may take several minutes to complete.
11. Select OK when the Calibration is complete.
12. Close the InstaCal window.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed and connected the Measurement Computing A/D card and are ready to use the ARIEL system software.